
Anthropologie, a pricier branch of Urban Outfitters, will open its first European flagship store in London on Friday, October 23, 2009. Located on Regent Street, the 10,000 square foot store will stay true to its roots by offering unique apparel, accesories and homeware. The reason I am so excited about this, besides the fact that it is my favorite store, is that the store is building relationships with local designors to feature in the store.
Obviously this is not realistic for every retail store to partake it, but I love that Anthropologie is encouraging local designors. People take pride in their city and culture, so why would they not take pride in their local designors? I wish more stores around the Washigton D.C. area did provide local designors with a chance to showcase their lines and help get their names out to the public. I am curious to see how well the local designors' lines sell in the London store.
The only reason I am surprised to hear that Anthropologie is opening a flagship store right now is becuase of the recession. Anthropologie tends to offer more luxurious items. I may need a new dress, but I do not need the new Corey Lynn Calter dress for say, $300. However, just because I am a poor college student and can't afford it right now does not mean that plenty of other working individuals can't. Anthropologie is in it for the long haul. The store will push through the bad economy and appeal to its target market, which consists of well-off middle to upper class incomes. The goal is for the company as a whole to have over 100 stores located throughout Europe, and I for one am excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment