

I recently moved from Arizona to the greater Washington D.C. area and can't help but notice how different the fashion is between the coasts.
Arizona is all about jeans, t-shirts, flip-flops and more flip-flops. Throw in a sweatshirt when it gets cold and you are good to go. I'm still trying to figure D.C. out. So far I have seen the super preppies in Georgetown, the hipsters in Chinatown, the professionals downtown and the granolas in Dupont.
Ultimately it comes down to what people consider formal. I went to a wedding back home last weekend and my brother pulls out his nice black suit and then a pair of bright yellow vans to accompany it. Needless to say, that would not fly out here. Similarly, my friend from California came to visit and we were going out to a nice restaurant. He put on a nice pair of jeans, some surfer-brand t-shirt, and brown, leather flip flops (note: any flip flops that are not rubber are considered nice out west). The other guys we met up with had on a nice pair of dress pants, a button down shirt and loafers.
This leads me to the Button Down Bros. Out west we have guys that we like to call Dude Bros, because they go to class with their board shorts and a beachy t-shirt on, with one pencil tucked behind and one notebook. That is all they need for the whole day, and they start every sentence with, "Dude, bro..." I swear they exist. Saturday night I was out in the Foggy Bottom area and as I looked around I noticed every guy was wearing nice jeans with a button down shirt, most likely pin-striped, and loafers. Seriously.
I am curious to see what coast I end up liking more, fashion wise that is. I am already sick of the Button Down Bros., but, hey, at least they put a little more effort into their ensembles than the Dude Bros.
I like your titles for the guys and their styles! Very Clever. Your descriptions are great and I can picture the ensembles you are describing perfectly!
ReplyDeletePreppy for boys is a great look. I personally like argyle, ascots, navy blazers and double windsors. Let's go play croquet!
ReplyDelete